The Board of Athlone Community Radio invites applicants for the position of Station Manager. Athlone Community Radio has been operating for twelve successful years and is looking for a new manager who will have the energy and drive to take the excellent work completed to date to the next level.
This role would suit someone who has experience of managing publicly funded and community-based enterprises and whilst radio experience would be very welcome it is not an exclusive requirement.
This role is a dynamic one with many moving parts and the successful applicant should be able to demonstrate experience in managing permanent and part-time staff, applying for public grants and funding, coordinating volunteers, overseeing training programmes, engaging in fundraising activities and events and an overall willingness to work towards continuing the success of the radio station.
Athlone community radio is an equal opportunities employer.
This position is funded by Pobal through the Community service Programme
A Candidate that can demonstrate the following skills will have a distinct advantage in relation to this role:
- Knowledge of the Broadcasting Licence application process
- Knowledge and experience of preparing business plans and reviewing business strategies
- Experience or demonstratable interest in broadcasting
- Experience of working with and reporting to a voluntary board of directors
- Experience of successfully applying for public funding, grant applications, and securing alternative income streams for Athlone Community Radio via local sponsorship and fundraising activities
- Knowledge and understanding of being fully compliant with all legal requirements for publicly funded community enterprises, including GDPR and current broadcasting legislation
- Excellent financial management and financial administration skills
- Ability to assess and re-organise current processes and procedures where necessary
- Staff and volunteer management experience
- Ability to negotiation and conflict resolution experience
- Excellent attention to detail in relation to all aspects of the running of the station
- Ability to facilitate community and voluntary organisations and the wider community of Athlone in all aspects of the station’s activities, including programming and decision making
- A drive to promote an ethos of social inclusion in the station’s activities.
- 2/3 years minimum Management experience
- The ability and vision to develop and lead a social enterprise
- The ability to carry out well organised and efficient project management (budgeting, administration, contract management)
- The ability to form good working relationships with people from a wide range of social, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Knowledge of employment law
- The ability to manage and motivate a team
- Proven funding application writing skills
- Proven financial budgeting ability
- Knowledge and experience of radio production and programming
- Understanding of community development
- Full driving license and transport desirable but not essential
- Management experience for coordinating volunteer and staff requirements.
- Administrative financial experience
- Compliance with existing governance and improving where necessary
- Understands compliance with BAI and Pobal other standards in order to run a successful radio station
- Review and update all policies and procedures currently in place.
- Experience in organisational reviews and overseeing training programmes
The position is funded under the Pobal Community Services Programme, and is subject to the ongoing funding of the programme. The station has a contract with Pobal signed until the end of 2019 and a key element of this role will involve the re-contracting process.
Salary commence with experience and skills. The Contract is for an initial two-year period, dependent on a six-month probation period and re-contracting with the Community Service Programme.
Please forward you application with CV and Cover Letter to:
or Post to:
Athlone Community Radio,
Business Development Centre,
Ball Alley Lane,
Closing date for applications 12 midday on Friday February 15th 2019